We are all unique and should be treated as such; especially when it comes to medicine. Culture, genetics, allergies, physical limitations, or even personal preference are all reasons why many turn to compounding.
Pharmaceutical compounding is the science responsible for the creation of customised medication. Compounded medications are ordered by a licensed physician, veterinarian or other prescriber, and must be mixed in a safe and carefully controlled environment by a licensed compounding pharmacist.
- Where a different strength of medication to the manufactured medication is required* *exemptions may apply.
- Where there is difficulty swallowing tablets or capsules and a different dosage form is required
- Where there is reluctance to take the medication due to its taste
- Where ingredients need to be excluded from medications due to allergies or other sensitivities
- Where medication has been discontinued by the manufacturer
- Where there isn’t a commercial product available
- With patients who don’t want to take medication at all, especially children or pets
- Oral medicines/capsules/liquids
- Rectal suppositories
- Vaginal pessaries
- Sublingual troches
- Ear drops and ointments
- Veterinary products
- Dentistry products